Beast Mastery remains as my favorite spec. It might not pull off the single target numbers of Survival, but it’s pretty darn close. It also has Beast Cleave, the most badass AoE in the game (especially with that new claw effect it received in 6.0). And most importantly, I just enjoy playing it more than the other specs. Recently there were a couple of hotfix buffs to stats which gave a decent little bump to Beast Mastery, though not as big as I was hoping.
- Mastery: Master of Beasts’ effects have been increased by 12.5%.
- The Haste stat is now 11.1% more effective. For example, characters at level 100 now receive a 1% increase per 90 Haste (up from 1% per 100 Haste).
Combined, these buffs only result in a 2-3% overall damage increase for BM (perhaps slightly more for AoE damage).
Prior to this, Multistrike was (barely) the best performing stat for BM in single target, but now it is Mastery. The question is, should you bother swapping your enchants from Multistrike to Mastery?
If you play BM and nothing else — if you literally only have one spec and never touch another — then yes, it can be worthwhile to stack Mastery. If, however, you play another spec (either SV or MM) then you will probably want to stick with Multistrike since Mastery is weaker for the other two specs. Even though Mastery has a higher value, there is very little change in actual DPS output by swapping them. The one exception would be AoE damage, where Mastery and Haste really starts to pull ahead.
Standard Disclaimer: My own personal stat weights, yours will be slightly different.
Haste and Mastery are the biggest contributors to raw Beast Cleave damage, which is why they look so good in the 3-target numbers. This has always been the case. Usually when people talk about stat priorities, they are talking about single target damage because killing bosses and priority targets is arguably the most important thing.
When it comes right down to it, BM stats are still so close in value (and so complimentary to each other) that you could enchant and gem for pretty much anything and see similar results. As for gear choices, item level will continue to be the largest deciding factor for BM. It’s not like Survival where Multistrike is so far beyond anything else that lower level gear can sometimes be better.
- If you play BM exclusively and don’t touch the other specs, it will be beneficial to prioritize Mastery.
- If you play SV or MM alongside your BM spec, I would stick with my original recommendations from the Multistrike post and continue to prioritize Multistrike.
- New BM stat priorities: Mastery > Haste = Multistrike > Crit > Versatility