There’s not a whole lot of hunter news for patch 6.1 thus far. All of the spell changes you may have seen on a site like Wowhead or MMO-Champion are simply tooltip updates from 2 months worth of hotfixes. There might be some in there that are actual changes, but if they are then it is minor. I’ve totally lost track of them all at this point. We won’t know for sure until Blizzard puts out actual patch notes.
The one actual hunter change is the increase in range for pet battle resurrection spells: Dust of Life (Moth), Eternal Guardian (Quilen), Gift of Chi-Ji (Crane). They have all been buffed to 40 yard range, up from 20 yards. This will make hunter battle resurrections a heck of a lot more reliable from now on. You can thank Artemishowl (WHU) for this one. She pleaded with the devs at BlizzCon to make it happen.
Here’s a few other bits that stood out to me from the datamining. As of now the servers aren’t up so I can’t check any of this for myself.
- Harrison Jones will be a new follower. I already knew he was going to be my favorite just because he is Harrison Jones… but then I saw that he was a Survival Hunter. Oh yeah! He also comes with Scavenger and Mentor automatically.
- The legendary follower, Garona Halforcen, counters 3 abilities (instead of 2 like an epic follower) and also comes with Epic Mount and Master Assassin.
- There are new Blackrock Foundry garrison missions. They require your followers to be 660 item level. Keep stocking up on those upgrades from the bunker and salvage yard!
- You can collect music from past expansions and use the garrison jukebox to change the music in your garrison. If I can play the Storm Peaks music all the time in my garrison, I am going to be very happy. Bonus points if it can actually switch between the day and night themes if the zone has them.
- The Trans-Dimensional Bird Whistle will allow you to bring out Pepe wherever you are, but the achievement to get this toy is rather exhaustive!
- More opportunities to tame flaming feral druids with Fandral’s Seed Pouch.
- There is now 125 stat food from cooking. RIP Savage Feasts.
- Apexis Gear can be upgraded to ilvl 670, for the low-low price of only 5873692837689 Apexis Crystals. OK, I may have exaggerated a bit. But I’m not too far off. I think the apexis gear is a really poor system. Farming gold and buying BOEs is more worthwhile for your time, but I digress.
- Lots of random follower upgrade/re-roll items, and more chances to get them from missions.
- Apparently there will be a new questing hub at the Iron Docks in Gorgrond.
- There are new anti-aliasing options — 2x, 4x, and 8x MSAA as well as 2x SSAA and 2x SSAA + CMAA. Anti-aliasing removes “jaggies” or smooths out the edges of models in the game. Just what does all this technical jargon mean? Well, it’s good news if you have a beefy video card, but it means nothing if you don’t. 🙂 This stuff interests me and I may do a post comparing all the AA methods in the future.
I was secretly hoping for Tanaan Jungle, but maybe it’s too early for a new zone or island at this point. I really enjoyed Isle of Thunder and Timeless Isle and I’m patiently waiting for the WoD equivalent.
My guess is they want to get this patch out the same week that Blackrock Foundry unlocks, so I don’t think this will be on PTR for more than a month or so.
Once I can login I’ll see what else I can find out. Maybe they snuck in a new hunter pet or two?
Off Topic: Rogerbrown, hunter extraordinaire from Method, will be joining us on the next Hunting Party Podcast. It will be streamed live on January 18 at 10 AM EST (14:00 GMT), or you can always listen to the recording later!