The first round of beta number tuning is in. Beast mastery is nerfed, survival is buffed, and marksmanship is sort of buffed. There’s very little else going on hunter-wise. No new abilities, mechanics, glyphs, pet changes, or anything else I can see. 😕 I was kind of hoping for more. I really don’t like the prospect of SV and MM going live as-is (mechanically).
- Kill Command now deals 240% of attack power damage (down from 283%)
- Cobra Shot now deals 60% weapon damage(up from 42%)
- Black Arrow now deals 510% attack power over 18 sec (up from 169% attack power) This is not a typo
- Cobra Shot now deals 60% weapon damage (up from 42%)
- Explosive Shot now deals 46% of attack power weapon damage per tick (up from 40%)
- Serpent Sting now deals 225% of attack power over 15 sec (up from 150%)
- Aimed Shot now deals 385% weapon damage (up from 306%)
- Careful Aim now increases the critical strike chance of Focusing Shot in addition to Steady Shot and Aimed Shot
- Steady Shot now deals 60% weapon damage (up from 42%)
- Exotic Munitions: Frozen Ammo now reduces movement speed for 4 sec (down from 8 sec)
- Thrill of the Hunt now has a 20% chance to proc (down from 30%)
About what I expected. The beast mastery nerf isn’t a big one in the grand scheme of things. Though if you ask me, I’d rather see Arcane Shot nerfed instead. Signature abilities should always deal high damage to reward you for using them in cooldown.
Survival’s DoTs both got a sizable buff, especially Black Arrow. It now deals 3 times more damage than the previous build. Serpent Sting’s buff is decent, but Explosive Shot buff isn’t as extreme. There was a bug on the old builds where Explosive Shot damage was getting clipped, and that is supposed to be fixed now. I’m hoping that 5-stack LnL ticks will be suitably large.
Marksmanship’s buffs are somewhat countered with the Thrill of the Hunt nerf. Less uptime on Thrill = less Aimed Shots. The end result is the MM buffs aren’t as substantial as survival’s (though survival needed it more). I would have expected a Chimaera Shot buff.
Uhh, yep. These buffs should make survival playable in dungeon and raid testing anyway. Marksmanship? I don’t know.
Survival’s cooldown is a lost cause I’m afraid, but I hope they’ll reconsider. Marksmanship still needs something to fill in the gap left by Steady Focus. Some kind of stack or debuff or something to manage beyond slowly casting Aimed Shots.
I’m not freaking out yet, but it’s going to be time for another round of feedback to the devs. After I play the specs some more, of course.
Despite any complaints, you can’t argue that they didn’t succeeded in making the 3 specs feel different.
Pet changes? Not this round
The “taming pass” hasn’t been done yet. Some of the most basic beasts, like the black wolves in Shadowmoon, are still untameable. Rylaks are still Chimaeras, and Gara hasn’t had any updates.
I’m going to go poke around more on the beta and see if I find anything else. If I do, I’ll update the post.
Update: Dismiss Pet is back in the hunter spellbook after a brief hiatus (while it was gone, you had to either make a macro or right click->dismiss on the pet).