Hunter glyphs? Let’s be honest. They’re not terribly exciting. I’m talking more about the minor glyphs here. We do have some pretty good major ones, even though we now have fewer options in Warlords due to some of them being exclusive with each other. For example, you can’t use Glyph of Liberation and Glyph of Disengage at the same time, or Glyph of Mending and Glyph of Mend Pet. You have to choose one or the other.
We did get a few new options in Warlords. Here they are:
- Glyph of Snake Trap (Major) — Your Ice Trap is replaced with Snake Trap. Venomous snakes released by the trap will poison nearby enemies with a Crippling Poison that reduces movement speed by 50% for 12 sec.
- Glyph of Quick Revival (Major) — Your Revive Pet is now instant but costs 80 Focus.
- Glyph of Deep Frost (Major) — Victims of your Freezing Trap are now immune to any damage for its duration.
- Glyph of Play Dead (Minor) — Your pet also plays dead when you use Feign Death.
The first two aren’t really my cup of tea. Deep Frost has some situational uses I would think. Play Dead is simply awesome.
More fun glyphs please
I’m obviously biased, but I think our selection of fun, cosmetic minor glyphs is lacking compared to some other classes. To be fair, we do have this nifty ability of taming like hundreds of different pets and stuff. So maybe I’m being a spoiled little hunter, but this is just for fun!
There’s a thread created by @DecideUH on the MMO-C forums throwing around some hunter glyph ideas. I thought there was some pretty fun sounding ones proposed in there. And if you read this blog, you know I like playing armchair designer, so this was right up my alley.
Here are some of my favorites from the thread:
- Glyph of Druidic Call: Your Stampede summons a group of four feral druids from your faction instead of extra pets. In addition, Dire Beast summons a feral druid instead of a random beast. Minor Glyph.
- Glyph of Hunter’s Mark: Arcane Shot and Aimed Shot leave a Hunter’s Mark on its target for 10 seconds. (This effect is purely cosmetic.) Minor Glyph.
- Glyph of Natural Camouflage: You are surrounded by leaves instead of becoming transparent while under Camouflage. (Uses the same effect as Blackrock Hunters. Also makes you use the same sneaking animation while walking or idle as if you were under stealth, though it doesn’t grant stealth). Minor Glyph.
- Glyph of the Packmaster: Teaches you the Call Pack ability. Call Pack summons all pets to follow you for 20s. Can only be used out of combat, and the extra pets disappear if you enter combat. 1 minute cooldown. Minor Glyph
- Glyph of Parrying: While under Deterrence, you wield a melee weapon from your main bag. If it’s a one-hand weapon, you will dual-wield it. (Attacks avoided by your Deterrence cause you to do a parrying animation.) Minor Glyph.
- Glyph of Mortar Team: Your Stampede is no longer pets but a Mortar team of Gnome/Goblin engineers. Marksmanship only. Minor Glyph
Some cool stuff in there. Especially the ability to summon tamed feral druids. 😀
Here’s a couple more ideas I would add myself:
- Glyph of Volley: Targets of your Multi-Shot are now hit with a volley of arrows from the sky. Minor Glyph.
- Glyph of Loyalty: When you are slain in battle, your pet will remain at your side for a short time before fading away. If the pet has a /sit animation (like a wolf or cat), it will use it. Minor Glyph.
- Glyph of Big Red Kitty: Your pet is permanently big, red, and angry (cosmetic). Beast Mastery only. Minor Glyph.
- Glyph of Why Did It Have To Be Snakes?: Targets afflicted by your Serpent Sting now have a small snake nipping at their heels for the duration. Survival only. Minor Glyph.
- Glyph of True Aim: You paint your target with a red laser while casting Aimed Shot. Marksmanship only. Minor Glyph.
- Glyph of Tame Druid: Allows you to channel your Tame Beast spell on feral druids, both friendly and hostile. No actual taming happens. Minor Glyph.
Someone reading this might be saying “Hey! Why isn’t he talking about how broken hunters are on beta? ZOMG!”
Well, here’s the deal. I’ve given my feedback. Multiple times and in multiple ways (this blog, official forums, and in the game itself). I’m not going to sound like a broken record… yet. If we get into serious number tuning and I feel like marksmanship and survival still have some outstanding issues, I’ll probably open my big mouth again.
In the meantime, I thought it would be cool to have a hunter feedback post that is 100% about fun and has nothing to do with numbers or balancing. Now, who do I have to bribe at Blizzard to get the tame druid glyph?
Thanks to the guildie who posed for my screenshot! 🙂
18 thoughts on “Fun Hunter Glyph Ideas”
Fantastic ideas all, might I add a “Glyph of Eyes of the Beast” to bring that ability back?
I’d never say no to that! But they did mention the code required to use that ability has been stripped from the game 🙁 Maybe some day we’ll get it back.
Did Priests lose Mind Vision as well? I assume the same tech was used for Sentry Totem, which I know is gone.
Fun ideas for sure. I will say that I feel like any hunter who isn’t using the Glyph of Fetch to be doing it wrong. (Honestly, I feel like it should just be a baseline ability for hunters.) So technically, we only have two minor glyph slots …
Glyph of Solid Snake – your camouflage ability now summons a plain, non-threatening cardboard box in which you move around underneath. The default stealth detection noise is replaced with a silly trumpet and a quest available marker temporarily appears over the NPC. Cosmetic only.
I absolutely LOVE the idea for Glyph of Loyalty and would totally use that one… though, I would prefer /lay instead of /sit, personally. Either way, I’d use it! I use my Darkshore Ghost Saber, Jack, more than any other pet, he’s been my loyal buddy for several years, I tamed him at level 19 after spending days trying to find him. He rarely leaves my side during all of my shenanigans in Azeroth. <3
I was thinking of some minor glyphs for Murder of Crows. Mainly for RP purposes so could even be race specific:
Glyph of Tyrande : Murder of Crows is replaced by Parliament of Emerald Owls
Glyph of Alleria : Murder of Crows is replaced by Convocation of Eagles
Glyph of Hemet : Murder of Crows is replaced by Flock of Gryphons
Glyph of Sylvanas : Murder of Crows is replaced by Convocation of Undead Eagles
Glyph of Rexxar : Murder of Crows is replaced by Cast of Hawks
Glyph of Lor’themar : Murder of Crows is replaced by Flight of Dragonhawks
Glyph of Vol’jin : Murder of Crows is replaced by Cloud of Bats
Moths could be related to some famous Draenei Hunter, Ravens with Worgen. Not sure about Goblin (seagull?) and Tauren (fireflies?)
There are no gnome hunters but:
Glyph of Zeppelin Air-strike: Murder of Crows is replaced by Zeppelin Airstrike (requires Engineering)
Glyph of Aviana : Murder of Crows is replaced by Flock of Harpies
The ones we really need though is:
Glyph of Frostheim : Murder of Crows is replaced by Scourge of Sporebats
Glyph of Jaw’s Revenge : When the target is in the water Murder of Crows is replaced by Shiver of Sharks (with appropriate music ofc)
Those are awesome. Yeah, it could just be a single glyph that changes AMOC to your race’s version so you don’t have a million different glyphs. Or even just a single one since that is a lot of new art assets (AMOC is a unique effect, they don’t just spawn crow mobs). I like the sound of Parliament of Owls. And I looked it up and it’s actually called that.
Glyph of Tiny Protector (Minor) When not in combat, your pet has the size, pathing, and behavior of a non combat pet (but can not engage in pet battles). On entering combat, an awesome enrage and engage animation is played.
Glyph of the Predator (If Imp Camo wasn’t removed): When camouflaged in combat, a targeting laser paints your current target (In fact, this could have been used to remove some of the PvP OPness of the perk… Sad Panda)
Plenty of scope for visual auras on pets…
Glyph of Oil Slicks (minor) gives your pet an oil stained appearance in honor of the victims of the Borean Tundra Oil Slick tragedy.
Glyph of the Sha (minor) gives your pet a sha touched appearance
Yeah, it would be cool maybe for a glyph like that themed the various expansions. For example, a WOTLK one could be:
Glyph of Frosty Paws: Your pet leaves a trail of frost in its wake.
Sha touched probably wouldn’t be so good for your pet. You’d better check that out. Heh, but it’d be super cool. Like the sha of Fear’s colors!
Love the Glyph of Loyalty… best idea ever.
What about Glyph of Flight or something like that. Like it makes your pets that have wings will fly beside you on your flying mount, and makes your ground pets follow you from below. Glyph of Loyalty would be awesome.
Ugh, drop the “will” on my last comment. Forgot to take that out >.<
It’s always a pleasure to see people wanting to have fun in games. I love all of the ideas mentioned. and in the spirit of fun, here are my 2 cents:
Glyph of Dancing Pet: when you /dance with your pet, your pet will dance with you standing on its hind legs. Does not apply to floating pets.
Glyph of the Pointer: While out of combat, your pet will point to any nodes you are able to gather.
Glyph of Excitement: When you move after standing still for 30s or more, your pet will jump around in excitement waiting for you to move.
Glyph of Moon Walking: when no Aspect is active, unmounted and out of combat, your pet will do the moon walk as it walks beside you. (could also be restricted to Shadowmoon Valley)
While mostly this post is about Glyphs, how about some hunter toys:
Plastic Bone: throws a plastic bone that your pet will run after and fetch. (or maybe “Glyph of the Retriever”)
Tug-o-war: a small rope that allows you to play tug of war with your pet.