Hunter glyphs? Let’s be honest. They’re not terribly exciting. I’m talking more about the minor glyphs here. We do have some pretty good major ones, even though we now have fewer options in Warlords due to some of them being exclusive with each other. For example, you can’t use Glyph of Liberation and Glyph of Disengage at the same time, or Glyph of Mending and Glyph of Mend Pet. You have to choose one or the other.
We did get a few new options in Warlords. Here they are:
- Glyph of Snake Trap (Major) — Your Ice Trap is replaced with Snake Trap. Venomous snakes released by the trap will poison nearby enemies with a Crippling Poison that reduces movement speed by 50% for 12 sec.
- Glyph of Quick Revival (Major) — Your Revive Pet is now instant but costs 80 Focus.
- Glyph of Deep Frost (Major) — Victims of your Freezing Trap are now immune to any damage for its duration.
- Glyph of Play Dead (Minor) — Your pet also plays dead when you use Feign Death.
The first two aren’t really my cup of tea. Deep Frost has some situational uses I would think. Play Dead is simply awesome.
More fun glyphs please
I’m obviously biased, but I think our selection of fun, cosmetic minor glyphs is lacking compared to some other classes. To be fair, we do have this nifty ability of taming like hundreds of different pets and stuff. So maybe I’m being a spoiled little hunter, but this is just for fun!
There’s a thread created by @DecideUH on the MMO-C forums throwing around some hunter glyph ideas. I thought there was some pretty fun sounding ones proposed in there. And if you read this blog, you know I like playing armchair designer, so this was right up my alley.
Here are some of my favorites from the thread:
- Glyph of Druidic Call: Your Stampede summons a group of four feral druids from your faction instead of extra pets. In addition, Dire Beast summons a feral druid instead of a random beast. Minor Glyph.
- Glyph of Hunter’s Mark: Arcane Shot and Aimed Shot leave a Hunter’s Mark on its target for 10 seconds. (This effect is purely cosmetic.) Minor Glyph.
- Glyph of Natural Camouflage: You are surrounded by leaves instead of becoming transparent while under Camouflage. (Uses the same effect as Blackrock Hunters. Also makes you use the same sneaking animation while walking or idle as if you were under stealth, though it doesn’t grant stealth). Minor Glyph.
- Glyph of the Packmaster: Teaches you the Call Pack ability. Call Pack summons all pets to follow you for 20s. Can only be used out of combat, and the extra pets disappear if you enter combat. 1 minute cooldown. Minor Glyph
- Glyph of Parrying: While under Deterrence, you wield a melee weapon from your main bag. If it’s a one-hand weapon, you will dual-wield it. (Attacks avoided by your Deterrence cause you to do a parrying animation.) Minor Glyph.
- Glyph of Mortar Team: Your Stampede is no longer pets but a Mortar team of Gnome/Goblin engineers. Marksmanship only. Minor Glyph
Some cool stuff in there. Especially the ability to summon tamed feral druids.
Here’s a couple more ideas I would add myself:
- Glyph of Volley: Targets of your Multi-Shot are now hit with a volley of arrows from the sky. Minor Glyph.
- Glyph of Loyalty: When you are slain in battle, your pet will remain at your side for a short time before fading away. If the pet has a /sit animation (like a wolf or cat), it will use it. Minor Glyph.
- Glyph of Big Red Kitty: Your pet is permanently big, red, and angry (cosmetic). Beast Mastery only. Minor Glyph.
- Glyph of Why Did It Have To Be Snakes?: Targets afflicted by your Serpent Sting now have a small snake nipping at their heels for the duration. Survival only. Minor Glyph.
- Glyph of True Aim: You paint your target with a red laser while casting Aimed Shot. Marksmanship only. Minor Glyph.
- Glyph of Tame Druid: Allows you to channel your Tame Beast spell on feral druids, both friendly and hostile. No actual taming happens. Minor Glyph.
Someone reading this might be saying “Hey! Why isn’t he talking about how broken hunters are on beta? ZOMG!”
Well, here’s the deal. I’ve given my feedback. Multiple times and in multiple ways (this blog, official forums, and in the game itself). I’m not going to sound like a broken record… yet. If we get into serious number tuning and I feel like marksmanship and survival still have some outstanding issues, I’ll probably open my big mouth again.
In the meantime, I thought it would be cool to have a hunter feedback post that is 100% about fun and has nothing to do with numbers or balancing. Now, who do I have to bribe at Blizzard to get the tame druid glyph?
Thanks to the guildie who posed for my screenshot!