We’ve gotten a few exciting Hunter tidbits at BlizzCon 2016 so far. Ion Hazzikostas revealed a boatload of new content coming in patches 7.1.5 and 7.2. Hunter stuff aside, there is an insane amount of stuff coming in these patches. I don’t even know where to start, but Wowhead has a good summary. Patch 7.1.5 is coming very soon (on the PTR right after BlizzCon) and promises some big class changes. The only specific Hunter change that was confirmed was a pretty big one…
- BM and MM Hunters are getting traps back! Ion did not elaborate so we don’t know what traps are coming back, but I think you can bet on Freezing Trap at a minimum, and maybe Ice Trap. I think Explosive Trap is less likely since it’s a core Survival DPS ability. Lately I’ve been feeling useless in Mythic+ dungeons when I can’t contribute to pre-pull CC, especially this week with that Teeming affix. Yeah, I could have Wyvern Sting but that would mean giving up Binding Shot which is a big no-no for Mythic+.
- Ion hinted at big talent changes, including making some extremely popular talents baseline. I know BM Hunters everywhere are hoping this means Chimaera Shot, but we’ll have to wait and see. I’d also like to see Camouflage return for BM in place of Intimidation.
- Hints at improving the feel of the rotation. I think both MM and BM could benefit here.
- He also talked about revising stat values so that ilevel upgrades are more likely to always be an upgrade. Currently this isn’t really a problem for Beast Mastery (aside from jewelry) since Agility is the top stat — in most cases, +5 ilvl on armor is either a slight upgrade or a side grade for BM, regardless of stats. And +10 ilvl is almost always an upgrade (ignoring sockets of course). MM on the other hand is a little more complicated since Mastery is well ahead of Agility. Survival favors Agility over secondaries even more than BM does, so armor ilvl upgrades are already an upgrade for them. I’m not sure how much this will affect Hunters.
- In 7.2 we’re getting the new artifact appearances and you’ll get them by completing difficult challenges tailored to each spec.
- Hunter class mount was revealed (as seen in header image)! After completing the next part of the class campaign in 7.2, you’ll unlock the above mount. It looks like a hybrid between a wolf and eagle (but flying animation kind of looks like a wyvern). I think it looks pretty cool in action (though Shaman definitely got the coolest one IMO). Update: It’s been confirmed that there are variations of the mounts for some classes/specs. Unsure if this applies to the Hunter mount yet. Update 2: It doesn’t. Same mount for all specs.
- New artifact traits coming in 7.2: new golden trait, new 3-rank trait, new utility trait, and the ability to upgrade all previous 3-rank traits to 4 ranks.
That was it for Hunter stuff so far, but we might find out more tomorrow (I’ll update the post if we do). More details to come once the 7.1.5 PTR goes live!